Website Design © 2023
Lakeside Heritage Trail
16. The Brick Store
202 Walnut Avenue
Brick Store circa 1900
The Fine Print 2022
In 1892, B.H. “Barney” Jacobs, a successful Port Clinton merchant and one of Lakeside’ founders, built a two-story brick building at Walnut and 2nd. The Lakeside News called the building and its plate glass front “a little giddy for Lakeside.” The general merchandise store sold hardware, stoves, food, and clothing. It also had a laundry service. The store name changed over the years, but remained under Barney Jacobs’ control until he died in 1906. His widow Clara sold the general store to L.E. Richards and advertisements began announcing the new business as “The Brick Store.”
Mr. Richard’s store continued to sell groceries while also installing an ornate soda fountain as part of “The Brick Ice Cream Parlor.” In 1921, the business was sold to Daniel and John Carroll. The Brick Store had transferred to its long-time competitors who owned a general store on the corner of Maple and 2nd.
The Carroll’s repurposed the building in 1931, first to a confectionary, then to the R.G. Grille. The grill was named after Robert Graves Carroll, the only son of Dan Carroll. The Grille quickly became the center for younger Lakesiders’ social life – everyone met there, hung out there, ate and drank there. Throughout the 1930s and 1940s the R.G. Grille remained the center of Lakeside’s social life. The last season of operation under Carroll management was 1956. The space continued to operate as a variety of restaurants, such as “Fosters Confectionary,” “Mitchell Luncheonette,” and “The Lakeside Grille.”
The Lakeside Association purchased the old Brick Store in 1963 and remodeled to house a second-floor museum and several shops on the ground floor. The second floor was eventually refinished as a meeting and exercise room, but its use is restricted because it is not accessible to people with disabilities.
Much was lost during the reconstruction of the exterior of the building. The ornate brick tops of the walls were removed, two of the second-floor windows facing Walnut were removed, the wooden sidewalk awnings were removed and the entire red brick façade was covered with stucco.
Today, the building is home to three popular, unique stores. The Fine Print bookstore provides a wide selection of books and activities for all ages and interests. Miss Mercedes offers home furnishings, holiday items, cards, candies and children’s toys. Gifts That Give Back features fair trade items sourced from around the world. The second floor remains a meeting and exercise room.